Sunday 4 December 2011

November Flies By

Well, as many of you may know, I did NaNoWriMo this year. What you may not know, however, is that I lost. Badly.

I'm not grouching about that, though. I set into NaNoWriMo with a purpose in mind: Get my book rolling again. I fulfilled that goal. And I enjoyed it. Writing new scenes is so much more fun that rewriting scenes from previous starts. Writing a scene from the beginning has started to rival the pleasures of editing.

Sure, I didn't even introduce the main conflict of the story. But I got pretty ice close. I didn't write more than 12,000 words in the course of the month, but I reached 20,377. I never fulfilled my daily quota, but I did 1232 words in one day.

And that isn't even the best part. This is the best part:

Sarah (reading my book): I am not weeding. I am perusing an excellent book.

Though the first line only made sense to the two of us, the second line planted the seed of warm fuzzies in my heart. In the course of November, my book transformed from something so hopeless I would cry about it, to something that Sarah enjoys to read. That is what I got out of November. Characters I hadn't known existed leaped from my fingertips. Bridges were burned (figuratively), main characters were tortured by bitter enemies (really) and chunks of time I thought would bore readers turned into awesome skirmishes.

I didn't make Mom cry with sweetness. (The ultimate goal.) But I don't think a main character who allegedly cares for no one and swears incessantly at those closest to her is going to make Mom cry... yet. Neither is a twenty year old war general escaping from enemy camps. I didn't make Mom cry, but Lia's callous quips made her laugh. I'm happy with that.

My writing still isn't quite where I want it to be yet; I had to rewrite several out-of-character scenes and spent full days with my face buried in my hands, trying to figure out scene to scene inconsistencies. But I did it. And I loved it.

May I just end with saying that I am satisfied.

Actually, I'm not. I'm EXHILARATED!

5 comments:

  1. Sarah has a happy.

    Sarah is also pleased/amused that the phrase 'pretty ice close' has entered your vocabulary. Sarawen obviously has great power. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are glad about your NaNoWriMo experience. I am too. And I want to read all those new scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to learn that you are enjoying literary creativity. Would like to get to read what you have done when you are ready to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Grandpa. I will send you what I have written sometime but I'm not sending the book out to anyone new until I have written the prologue. Unfortunately, I can't say when that will be. I don't want to lose momentum by going back. But I will keep you in mind!

    ReplyDelete