Wednesday 12 October 2011

Just So You Know...

I saw a humorous circle graph on the computer a while ago that had, 'real photographers' and 'teenagers with a fancy camera who call themselves photographers'. Teenagers, as you may guess, was far bigger.

This made me laugh so hard. I wasn't offended in the slightest because, you see, I don't call myself a photographer. I don't actually plan to sell photos or anything. Mom convinced me to sell my pictures at our family auction and I did it, but it was really embarrassing.

I take pictures for a couple reasons. One is that I like to. Seriously, it's just fun. Here is a picture of the time I first discovered my love of photography:

Look on my face: "Huh? What are you doing? I'm the one with the camera!" (Photo taken by Grandpa at an aquarium in Seattle)

Another reason is that - besides the above picture - I don't have any other photos of me when I was taking pictures. I hate it when people take pictures of me. I have a select few pictures that don't look awful. But no one ever takes pictures of the photographer. Well, except Grandpa.

Reason three: Research. Memories. A couple months ago, I looked out the window and saw this picture:

And yes, the rainbow was just as faint in real life.

I thought, "Wow, that's beautiful. I have to remember that so that I can put that in a scene." But how was I to remember it if I didn't take a picture? So I did.

Fourth reason: I need a picture that doesn't exist. A while ago, I was looking through my list of names for the Espritans (think Dryads, tree people) of my book and I saw two names that brought characters to my mind, Peach and Wolf. I thought, "Those names are such opposites, wouldn't it be hilarious if they got married?" And the plot was born.

Now I like to have pictures for my character. Pictures that symbolize them. For one character, I have a picture of a tiny green sprout poking out of a pile of rocks, for another I have a red fox, Peach needed a picture. And it needed to be of a peach, of course. And I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like.

So I looked up 'peach' on Google images. It was extremely unsuccessful. I wanted a soft, sweet picture, not a picture of produce on a tree (or video game characters, for that matter). Dad bought peaches that evening. So my way was clear. I set up my wonderful studio...


...and took this picture (among many others):


So that is why I take pictures. I don't think my pictures look professional in any way and I don't want you thinking that I do. I'm a teenager with a nice camera, a wild imagination, and a very exacting idea of what I want my pictures to look like. That's all.

Oh, and here is the picture I found on Google for Wolf. It isn't exactly what I wanted because I don't actually have the resources to take pictures of wolves. But it works anyway:


3 comments:

  1. I had forgotten about that picture of you with the camera at the Aquarium. What a great shot. You look something like an adorable cartoon character, and suddenly my arms want to hug the little girl you were again.

    I love the passion with which you approach your photography. It was so cool to see the difference between the peach photos you took up high on the stool on the table where the light was coming from the side and the ones at table height. I never knew that the angle of the light made so much difference.

    Maybe today you're still a teenager with a camera, but I don't think you'll be that much longer. Sorry to have embarrassed you at the family reunion, but I can pretty much guarantee it will happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the peach Meg. It is so pretty! I especially liked how you did the lighting. It looked so warm. (And cozy?) :)

    Any-who, you are such an awesome photographer! Love your pictures, so keep taking them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are nailing down your intent to express and with that articulated, you will become less self conscious of your inexperience and be able to assess your progress.Knowing what you want is the beginning of getting it.

    ReplyDelete